Friday, April 24, 2009

A strange encounter of the Other Generation

The people one meets on the streets.....

I was approached by an old man today to assist him to carry a chair to his table.

Old Man: (speaks in prim and proper english) Young man, could you assist me in carrying a chair to my table?

Me: Oh sure sir. Over here?

Old Man: Yes, thank you. Say, its that an army shirt you're wearing, what battalion are you from?

Me: Er....

I was wearing my Singapore Polytechnic Polo Tee. But we continue to chat for a while about the army.

Old Man: (eagerly) So, have you joined the NS yet?

Me: Nope, not yet.

He misread me and thought I was skiving my role. Naturally, I defended myself.

Old Man: Skiving the army! Why I never...

Me: No no no, I said I haven't gotten the letter yet!

Old Man: Oh oh, good good. Remember, Singapore is just a red dot, we all have to defend this country.

Old Man: Remember hor!

After rambling along for a while more, he left us to our food in peace.

Friend A: ..... That was a strange man

Friend B: Yea, what a loony

Me: No, just a lonely one.


---

No comments: