Friday, April 24, 2009

The Chinese Low Educated but Highly Skilled Professional

I spent 10 hours on my bicycle and managed to break a handlebar, strip a very important nut and mount my brakes the wrong way. After the chaos, I decided to leave it to the professionals and brought my bike to the nearby bicycle store. While cycling to the store, it was creaking and squeaking the entire way.

When I was there, it was manned by the full crew, an old chinese man, lady and a old grandmother. After handling the bicycle to the old man he gave it a one over and said to me:

"Ah boy arh, you rammed into a wall before?"

I did hit a van at full speed a few weeks before but I never told him before.

"See see, the front fork is bent! One more time and you can't ride it anymore! Never mind, still can ride but must be careful."

I gave it a once over and.... couldn't see anything. Walking towards the rear of the of the bicycle, he looked at the nut only once and said

"This nut is a special nut, from a Raleigh"

And it was. It only took be 2 hours for me to find it out on the internet. He then looked at the bicycle as a whole, looked at me and said

"You fixed this bicycle yourself right? See la, this thread is stripped. Boy ah, must be more careful next time."

He fixed the brakes, back axle and found the nut after searching the entire store for it.

Total cost: $13. And $10 was for a plastic red rear light.

When I cycled back, the bicycle was like new. No creaks, groans or scrapes at all. Excellent. :)


---

No comments: