Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Of boots, overcoats and random clothing items.

As a general rule, I dislike shopping.

Having three ladies in the house (2 sisters and mom) means you're dragged on shopping trips whether you like it or not, often for hours on end. I used to dislike it as it was tiring and I didn't like the clothes on display anyway. To be fair, a dress or lingerie won't really fit well on me but you get the idea. More to the point, clothes didn't fit well on me as I used to be quite plump, hence the disdain for them.

I spent 5 hours shopping for polo tees last week.

Why the sudden change?

I realised that I didn't want to walk around in unfitting round neck tees and baggy jeans anymore. I finally understood the reason for the many hours of window shopping the ladies do. Walking around many stores and malls, they have a feel of the designs, material and look of the outfit on themselves in order that they can fit everything without making them look bad. Buying a top to match the bottom, shoes to match the clothes and for the entire outfit to match the event. It's certainly not a case of 5 minute rushes to the store and the rest of the time at the sports section.

But neither did I want to preen myself in front of the mirror everyday.

I compromised with buying classic outfits that last and fitting for most occasions. Polo tees in all shapes and sizes, blazers, well cut long sleeved shirts and proper shoes. These can be worn in many different combinations to suit out the occasion. Being an active guy, my preference was to solid outfits which last and protect.

Cheap is not good, good does not come cheaply.

I never liked spending much on items, only on my toys (games, models and now photography gear) but more of that budget is now diverted to clothing. $400 will not get you a decent lens but it does get you decent threads.

Get to the point!

My clothes fit me better, which leads to:
Me looking better, which leads to:
Me feeling better.

Narcissist?

You decide.




Did I just make you wade through an entire essay about clothing?

;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh..I'm like @_@

Jackie said...

Haha Sam you're so cute!

Anonymous said...

SAM

haha. :P

Rachel said...

OMG NOW YOU UNDERSTAND WHY WE GIRLS TAKE SO LONG TO SHOP.
And try wearing a normal shirt with blazer and jeans.
HOTSTUFF MAN!

Blog Archive